Are you still recovering from all the holiday eating and sewing? All the lovely, calorie-laden dishes and special treats are gone, or waiting to be thrown out when you’re tired of looking at them. It’s the beginning of a new year, and our thoughts turn to healthy living. But winter’s still here, with its grey and chilly days, and we want our filling comfort food, too. This Sweet Potato, Kale, & Corn Chowder, courtesy of A House in the Hills blog, fits the bill. A satisfying vegetable soup that is both creamy and filling, with sweetness from the corn and sweet potatoes, and a healthy dose of anti-oxidants from kale. If kale is not your thing, feel free to substitute another green, like spinach, in its place.
Sweet Potato, Kale, & Corn Chowder
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2″ cubes
2 shallots, diced
1 medium leek, cleaned and sliced (round)
1 bunch of curly kale, chopped
3 cups of frozen or fresh corn
3 cloves of garlic
3 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
3 cups of water (more to preference)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil
– In large, heavy bottomed soup pan sauté diced shallots and coconut oil over medium/low heat until softened.
– Add garlic, sweet potatoes, sea salt, pepper, cinnamon and sauté an additional minute.
– Add vegetable broth and water, cook utnil potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Add leeks and cook an additional two minute
– Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a standing blender) to rough puree the soup.
– Add kale, corn and cook until kale is softened. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
– Serve hot! Enjoy!
(Photo and recipe courtesy of A House in the Hills.)
We wish all of our readers a happy, healthy, productive 2017! May your scissors stay sharp, and all your seams be straight.